Your first steps developing smart contracts🚀
Updated: Oct 28
Programming smart contracts is a skill that can open the doors to new opportunities in the growing world of the web industry 3. Let's learn what are the first steps you can take to venture into this new skill.
📜 What are smart contracts?
In a nutshell, a smart contract is a piece of self-executing code with predefined conditions and rules that run on a blockchain and are usually the cornerstone of a dApp, DAO or practically anything within the Web 3 ecosystem.
🛠️ Choose your tools
To get started you will need the right tools to accompany you on this journey.
1. Choose a blockchain taking into account that each one usually has a different programming language and functionalities so you will have to choose which one you want to start with, we recommend Ethereum since by learning it you will be able to use other blockchains compatible with the EVM such as Avalanche, BNB Chain or Polygon.
2. Choose the development environment where you are going to write your first lines of code. There are many available such as Remix, Truffle or Hardhat.
3. The programming language you will use will depend on the blockchain you chose, however they are not mutually exclusive and once you learn something like Solidity (Ethereum) that acquired skill will help you better understand other languages like Vyper or Rust (Polkadot).
👩💻 Time to learn
When the time comes to learn to program, there are many options and resources available on the internet or even near you, you can choose the one that best suits your pace:
1. There are several communities and institutions that constantly have webinars that will help you learn.
2. Reading the documentation of the language you want to learn is usually a slow but sure path that will make you understand it thoroughly, however this is a path that we recommend to developers with a little experience.
3. Joining communities can be a great way to learn while making new connections with people who have the same enthusiasm as you.
📚 Don't stop learning
Blockchain and smart contract development is a constantly evolving field, so staying at the state of the art is crucial to advancing in this industry. We suggest you follow the trends of the ecosystem through social networks and newsletters so that you don't miss anything.
🌟 Let's Build!
Once you feel confident in your skills, it is time to start creating contracts, either for your first job as a “Smart contract developer” or by participating in a hackathon to test your skills. The more you program, the more you will learn and grow but remember that patience and perseverance are the key to this path. Smart contract development may seem complex at first, but with dedication and continuous learning, you will unlock your full potential.